Wednesday, February 24, 2010

In a Sunburned Country by Bill Bryson

In a Sunburned CountryHearing about our ACT State Sponsorship, one of the people on the forum suggested that I read Bill Brysons In a Sunburned Country. He said it would give me a little bit more insight into life in Canberra. I promptly found myself a copy, and couldn't put the book down. Bill Bryson is a fantastic writer, and has written several  humorous travel books. This was the first of his books that I had read, but will no doubt be picking up some of his others.

The book covers Bill's travels across Australia, starting with a cross country train ride from Sydney to Perth. On driving adventures, he also visits Canberra, Adelaide, Melbourne, and Uluru. It was a little disheartening to read his opinions on Canberra, and his suggestions for new Canberra slogans, which included:

Canberra - There's nothing to it!

and:

Canberra - Why wait for Death?

However in the end conceded that Canberra was a great spacious city, that escaped many of the troubles of the larger Australian cities. It had managed to stay  small and non-imposing. A city in a park.

I'll be honest. It does concern me a little, moving from a big city like San Francisco, to a much smaller place. However, I am willing and eager to give it a go.

If you want to grab a peek at the book you can do so below. 


No comments:

Post a Comment